Saturday, February 28, 2009

The California State Lottery

This is the kind of thing that makes you cynical about politics. Every time a California State bond measure comes up, it is this sort of thing that keeps me from voting for it. Maybe I'm the only one who is exercised about this, but if the following is true, I do not understand why this is not a huge scandal:

Remember when we all voted on the State Lottery in in 1984? Do you remember what the appeal of it was? Apart from a one in a billion chance to be rich, the primary sales pitch was that it would provide extra money for the schools without raising taxes. Am I the only one who remembers that? Am I the only one who wonders, in light of that, why the schools are still continually starved of money? Even if I am, here's what I understand happened:

When the Lottery was passed, somewhere between the ballot and the budget, the money that the Lottery was projected to raise was extracted from the State schools budget and (presumably) blown on other stuff! Welfare perhaps? Maybe making sure illegal aliens have all the benefits they're entitled to? Whatever, the effect was that there was no net additional revenue for the schools. And this was almost the entire argument for voting for it in the first place. To make it worse, the Lottery money came with the attached string that it could only be used for "educational purposes", meaning not on facilities. So the old school budget could be used as appropriate, but it was supplanted with money that was "earmarked", to borrow a term currently in vogue. Am I the only one who remembers the constant lament over the condition of school buildings over the past 25 or so years? Gee, I wonder why. Clearly there's no extra money now, but think of all the money that was supposed to go to the schools during the flush times and all the repair, updating, and construction that our students would now have the benefit of.

So how does Sacramento get away all these years clearly and cynically subverting the wishes and intent of the voters without so much as a peep from anyone? If there wasn't the constant moaning and wailing about how badly the schools need money, I suppose it wouldn't be as bad; but, in view of all the school fundraising drives, ballot initiatives, etc, we've seen over the years, isn't anyone else the least bit worked up over what clearly looks like the torpedoing of the solution?

If I'm wrong about this, I sure would appreciate someone setting me straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my Blog. Your comments are welcome.